January 5, 2018
Happy New Year and don’t forget about the Seven Touches for great success in 2018!
I hope everyone had a wonderful holiday season and 2018 is off to a great beginning.
I was thinking of a Blog post I did in March of 2014 and thought it may be useful to share again. I continue to remind myself as a fundraiser that people get inundated with requests for support from nonprofits throughout the year, and it is detrimental for a nonprofit organization to contact people not just for money and/or to thank them, but for other important reasons as well.
These Seven Touches are relevant whether a donation, sponsorship, gift in kind, volunteering, or any type of support to the nonprofit. I also feel that the Seven Touches are relevant to maintain any relationship of significant proportion, financial or otherwise.
Here are some excerpts to an article that I believe are worth sharing again as to their importance and relevance for the New Year.
With the gift agreement signed and the asset transfer completed, the final step in any gift conversation is thanking, recognizing and stewarding donors. But how often should you communicate with donors? If you do so too often, a donor could tune out the noise that comes across as static. If your communications are too infrequent, donors may not hear the harmony of the sounds that could lead to their full commitment.
Over the course of a year, Seven Touches have proven to be both efficient and effective in delivering a clear message that matches the tone that is sweet music to a donor’s ear. These seven distinct moves offer seven opportunities for donors to understand that they are important to the charity. The seven messages are singular, but when positioned together, they work toward a complete concept of reminding donors why they are giving and what their support is accomplishing.
1. Prompt thank-you letters. Consistent thank-you letters should be sent within 48 hours of receiving a gift. A tiered recognition plan that involved multiple thank-yous as giving levels increase will offer the greatest impact to position repeated giving. Remember that first-time donors deserve the same level of thanks as your loyal and largest donors do to ensure they become repeat donors.
2. Impact reports. Donors are inspired by the result of their giving. Positive outcomes that are direct result from their support of a program will motivate them again.
3. Annual report. Just like a program report that shares how donors support led to success for an aspect of the organizational mission, an informative annual report that depicts the overall picture of a charity will build trust in its ability to efficiently reach and surpass goals. Similarly, transparency and accountability lead to donor loyalty as they continue to become engaged in mission delivery.
4. Volunteer recognition cards. Sent in April during Volunteer Recognition Month, it highlights the your charity’s appreciation of its donors’ active involvement in the mission of your organization. Whether they are board members, committee members or other volunteers, committed donors appreciate recognition.
5. Birthday cards. Sent out the first week of each month (or three days prior to the donors birthday), if possible) a birthday greeting says that your organization is paying attention to donors in a very personal way.
6. Thanksgiving or National Philanthropy Day cards. At a time of year for expressing thanks, thanking your donors should be a priority.
7. Personal Phone calls. Make personal phone calls in early December to wish donors “Happy Holidays”
Article from Advanced Philanthropy www.afpnet.org/Winter 2014
If you would like to learn more about how my experience and skills may be able to help benefit your nonprofit, or a nonprofit you may be associated with, please don’t hesitate to get in touch with me as I would be pleased to meet and discuss the opportunity of working together.
I hope you enjoy my postings and find this information useful. Please follow the link at: https://raveresults.ca/blog/ as I welcome your comments on my Blog.
Thanks and wishing you the very best for 2018,
Mitchell Ravvin, BComm, PFPC, CFRE
Rave Results Inc.
7436 21A Street SE
Calgary, AB T2C 0V9
Rave Results Inc. is a professional fundraising service specializing in assisting mid-size nonprofit organizations. Areas of expertise include: Donor Development, Major Gift Fundraising, Sponsorship, Planned Giving, and both Annual and Capital Campaigns.